Skip to main content

T3: There’s More to the Story

 Originally published April 12, 2023


*****

Fifteen years ago, I started a new adventure—one which granted me the sacred title of “Aunt,” one which made me privy to my brother’s anxiety about being a new father. In one particular late night conversation, I remember trying to assuage his various and sundry concerns the only way I knew how. I reminded him that our family used to always say that “children don’t come with instruction manuals” and assured him that he’d do the best he knew how when the challenges arose—even if neither of us had the slightest idea of what that would entail. While children don’t, in fact, come with instructions, as key institutions in their communities, libraries do offer a wealth of resources—useful appendices to that non-existent handbook—that may come in unexpected forms. There’s more to the story of your library than just books!

Decorative logos for Family Place Libraries and Texas State Library and Archives Commission side by side

Many Texas public libraries address early learning by joining the Family Place Libraries™ network—a nationwide community of children’s librarians who believe that literacy begins at birth, and that libraries can help build healthy communities by nourishing healthy families. They not only transform their physical spaces but also build a foundation for learning during the critical first years of life. In short, libraries provide the kind of key early childhood and family support services that new parents need. Whether it’s toddler time, storywalks, free play, or a collection of parenting books, there’s more to the story of early learning at your library.

After my nephew’s first weeklong visit, I deliquesced on my couch. Exhausted, I realized that I needed a plan for future visits. Having no children of my own, he had no cousins or friends to play with when he visited. How could I keep him entertained without depleting my energy reserves?! How could I engage him in learning experiences that he also enjoys?! How could I fund all this without draining the budget?! Once again, my local library proffered a bevy of solutions. There was FREE programming where he could learn, play, and learn through play with others his own age. Moreover, each year, the annual theme for the summer library program provided a sense of familiarity as we bounced from branch to branch and took advantage of the offerings throughout the city. Whether it’s kids yoga, LEGO® labs, LARPing in the library, or Miyazaki watch parties, there’s more to the story of children’s services at your library.

Decorative Logo for the Collaborative Summer Library Program

Now that my nephew is about to enter high school and has begun considering what options he’ll have as a new adult, I continually urge him to use the library. Many libraries offer classes where he can learn skills ranging from basic cooking to tie tying to digital literacy. Their makerspaces offer places to tinker and explore concepts that could be fodder for entrepreneurial ventures. Test preparation workshops provide insight into those high-stakes gatekeepers that are so often part of an application process. And, of course, access to databases provide relevant, trustworthy information sources for both personal and academic research. Whether it’s homework help, adulting workshops, or probing life after high school, there’s more to the story of teen services at your library.

After a childhood rooted in library services, I hope that my nephew understands that the library has so much to offer him. And, as he moves through each stage of his life, there will always be more to the story.

Picture of a library user reading a book in front of a card catalog

***
This year’s National Library Week is April 23-29, 2023, and will be celebrated with the theme “There’s More to the Story.” Each April, all types of libraries across the country celebrate the contributions of libraries and librarians, as well as promote library use and support in observance of this event. For more information about that story, celebrations throughout the week, and free programmatic resources, visit the event website.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Decloaking Wakanda: Creating Space for BIPOC Nerds

On February 9, 2023, at the fourth Joint Conference of Librarians of Color (JCLC), I had the exhilarating experience of guiding a discussion that focused on the need to connect with nerd culture and create a welcoming environment for the BIPOC fandom. The soul of this session had been several years in the making and built on countless heart-to-heart moments. So, I couldn’t imagine a better venue for seeing it actualized than my first JCLC. Furthermore, for this session, I had the honor of being in conversation with fellow nerds and comics librarians Jean Darnell and Deimosa Webber-Bey . To my eternal amazement, our talk was met with a standing room only reception, and afterward we were repeatedly regaled with tales of being turned away at the door. In hopes of capturing a small portion of that day's magic, this post grew out of that discussion. *** For the past 30 years, BIPOC nerds have existed in the cringe-worthy shadow of Urkel. What if, instead, they’d had portrayals such as

Standing TALL: Choosing to Apply to the Texas Library Association's TALL Texan Leadership Institute

 After having attended the Texas Library Association's TALL Texan Leadership Institute, another library worker reached out to me with questions about my experience. Below are the answers that I provided in response to her questions. *** Why did you apply to Tall Texans?  Originally, I heard about TALL Texans as a new school librarian - within my first five years - and at the time it was described to me as an opportunity to gain meaningful leadership training in the field of librarianship that was specific to the Texas Library ecosystem. Thus, it was something that I'd aspired to for quite awhile. However, as time went on I made my way toward leadership without having attended the institute and began to second guess the value of the investment. However, when I mentioned to my supervisor that I was mildly interested in attending, she strongly encouraged me to apply - stating that not only would the library pay for my tuition but that she believed I would particularly benefit from

This Barbie is a Comics Librarian: My 2023 Comic-Con International Recap

Although we did NOT pull up in a pink convertible, Russell and I DID arrive in sunny San Diego mid-morning on Wednesday, Preview Night. After leaving the airport, we quickly dropped off our bags at the hotel and took the ferry over to Coronado Island for lunch and a cycling adventure. Since my fellow panelist—Jana Tropper—and I had coordinated Barbie lewks for a grand first time in-person meeting, Russell and I entertained the locals looking like real life Barbie and Ken on our day of leisure before launching into the heart of the fandom. Unfortunately, we weren’t able to connect with Jana until the following day. The next two days were a whirlwind of learning from and networking with my fellow comics educators and information professionals at the lovely San Diego Central Library. Thursday was full of library panels that ran the gamut from discussing libraries and the challenges they currently face to comics pedagogy; whereas, Friday was a parade of publisher panels showcasing a pleasa