Skip to main content

Thelma's Story

Thelma Streeter (circa 1948)

Earlier today I was chatting online with a friend and colleague about the surreal and exhausting state of the world, and he made the following statement: 

Sometimes, I feel like an imposter in the conversation [about equity work], as I am the quintessential benefactor of this historic class system, but I still feel like it has to be much more difficult to be a mouthpiece as a black American. So often, it has to feel like people immediately shut down when you start talking about inequality. Or systemic racism.

To which I replied:

If you're the imposter, then I'm the sleeper. I, too, have benefited from the same class system. My parents circumvented and exploited it, and then taught my brother and I to not only do the same but to also conduct ourselves as if we have always been here. And that was just the most recent generation. Some day, we'll talk about my social-climbing, paternal grandmother.

*****

Thelma Streeter (née Dennis) was born on July 13, 1913 in Corsicana, Texas. Although she would not have been surprised by the current state of the world, she would have been appalled by it. She would have had some choice words to say about recent events, and she definitely would have had some choice words for me about the amount of stress, anxiety, and depression they’ve caused me.

Thelma was a woman who explained to me when I was sixteen that she learned to drive on a tractor, so I was not going to be intimidated by learning on a 5-speed manual transmission. Furthermore, at 90ish, she explained to her doctors that her then late twenties grand-daughter has been giving herself insulin shots multiple times a day since she was 17, so she’d muster the nerve to give herself the medicinal injections she needed as well. I never told her that, to this day, I hate needles and I wrestle with the inchoate demons of body horror. I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t have mattered. She would have expected nothing less and would have counseled that fear can't be allowed to stop me from doing what needs to be done.

At age 22, Grandmother married my grandfather—Clarencewho was 15 years older than she, her second husband, and a Pullman porter. Together they moved to Dallas where she spent a year in domestic service. Deciding she was constitutionally unsuited for this work, Grandmother studied to become a licensed beautician and small business owner—co-owner of Tru-Thel Beauty Nook and later the proprietress of Streeter Beauty Shop.

Being a graduate of the Madam C. J. Walker College of Beauty Culture was one of her prized achievements. It not only launched her career but facilitated her active membership in a beloved sorority. Thelma Streeter truly re-invented herself, emerging as a prominent business owner and influencer in South Dallas' black community. Even though she rarely talked about these accomplishments, she quietly maintained a scrapbook over the years documenting and privately celebrating what she’d accomplished.



Graduating Class Photo (circa 1943)
Top row, 5th from right

*****

I was raised by strong women--blood relatives on both sides of my family tree as well as my family-of-choice--who believed in protecting home and hearth foremost and then leveraging whatever soft power you have in order to keep the world from holding you and yours back. Sometimes I forget that, but thinking about my Grandmother always reminds me that I was groomed to NOT be a victim.

... And to this day, driving a 5-speed is still one my greatest visceral joys.


My matriarchs:
Thelma & Maxine Streeter 
MLIS Graduation Ceremony at Texas Women's University



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Decloaking Wakanda: Creating Space for BIPOC Nerds

On February 9, 2023, at the fourth Joint Conference of Librarians of Color (JCLC), I had the exhilarating experience of guiding a discussion that focused on the need to connect with nerd culture and create a welcoming environment for the BIPOC fandom. The soul of this session had been several years in the making and built on countless heart-to-heart moments. So, I couldn’t imagine a better venue for seeing it actualized than my first JCLC. Furthermore, for this session, I had the honor of being in conversation with fellow nerds and comics librarians Jean Darnell and Deimosa Webber-Bey . To my eternal amazement, our talk was met with a standing room only reception, and afterward we were repeatedly regaled with tales of being turned away at the door. In hopes of capturing a small portion of that day's magic, this post grew out of that discussion. *** For the past 30 years, BIPOC nerds have existed in the cringe-worthy shadow of Urkel. What if, instead, they’d had portrayals such as

Standing TALL: Choosing to Apply to the Texas Library Association's TALL Texan Leadership Institute

 After having attended the Texas Library Association's TALL Texan Leadership Institute, another library worker reached out to me with questions about my experience. Below are the answers that I provided in response to her questions. *** Why did you apply to Tall Texans?  Originally, I heard about TALL Texans as a new school librarian - within my first five years - and at the time it was described to me as an opportunity to gain meaningful leadership training in the field of librarianship that was specific to the Texas Library ecosystem. Thus, it was something that I'd aspired to for quite awhile. However, as time went on I made my way toward leadership without having attended the institute and began to second guess the value of the investment. However, when I mentioned to my supervisor that I was mildly interested in attending, she strongly encouraged me to apply - stating that not only would the library pay for my tuition but that she believed I would particularly benefit from

This Barbie is a Comics Librarian: My 2023 Comic-Con International Recap

Although we did NOT pull up in a pink convertible, Russell and I DID arrive in sunny San Diego mid-morning on Wednesday, Preview Night. After leaving the airport, we quickly dropped off our bags at the hotel and took the ferry over to Coronado Island for lunch and a cycling adventure. Since my fellow panelist—Jana Tropper—and I had coordinated Barbie lewks for a grand first time in-person meeting, Russell and I entertained the locals looking like real life Barbie and Ken on our day of leisure before launching into the heart of the fandom. Unfortunately, we weren’t able to connect with Jana until the following day. The next two days were a whirlwind of learning from and networking with my fellow comics educators and information professionals at the lovely San Diego Central Library. Thursday was full of library panels that ran the gamut from discussing libraries and the challenges they currently face to comics pedagogy; whereas, Friday was a parade of publisher panels showcasing a pleasa